Experience the Magic of Hobbiton
Some call it Middle-earth, others the Shire, but the magical Hobbiton is famously known as home of the Hobbits, including Samwise Gamgee, Bilbo and Frodo Baggins. Located in the heart of the Waikato region and only 2 hours drive south ofin your car rental, renowned director Peter Jackson scoured many locations across New Zealand and finally settled on this sheep farm of Matamata to create his idyllic setting for the Shire. After filming ended, the Hobbiton Movie Set has become one of the biggest tourist attractions in the New Zealand operating 80-to 100 tours per day and drawing in hundreds of thousands of visitors from across the globe each year. Here is quick guide from VroomVroomVroom to help you get to Hobbiton with ease.
What to see and do
- A must-see while in New Zealand, a visit to the Hobbiton Movie Set is guaranteed to be an amazing experience sure to charm the senses of travellers from all across the globe.
- Keep in mind that the only way to access the Hobbiton Movie Set is with an official guided tour. It is recommended to book in advance with HobbitonTours for you to truly experience the magic of Hobbiton.
- Immerse yourself in the sights, smells, sounds and tastes of The Shire, as displayed in The Hobbit Trilogies and The Lord of the Rings.
- Fall in love with the Alexander family sheep farm and see the submerged Hobbit Holes that litter the rolling hillsides.
- Don't worry! You'll be forgiven even if you take multiple photos in front of one of the hobbit holes.
- Wander around the 12 acre set with fascinating stories and anecdotes about the trilogies from your tour guide.
- The tour ends at the world-famous Green Dragon Inn, where you can sample their exclusive, specially brewed drinks.
Watch the video below to see the best highlights of Hobbiton, courtesy of our friends from Hobbiton™ Movie Set.
Explore more great road trip itineraries and cool destinations in New Zealand.