Picking Up a Rental Car From the Airport
Sometimes, collecting a rental car at an airport can be a bit confusing. That's why VroomVroomVroom has compiled a few checklists to help you find the rental counter and collect your vehicle as fast and hassle-free as possible
- Prepare your documents. Double check if your driver's licence, credit card, and other important documents such as your flight details, international driving permit if required and other IDs, are ready and available before heading to the car rental desk.
- Find the rental counter. Most car rental desks are often located within the terminal, at a car rental centre outside the terminal building, or off the airport grounds.
- Pay for the rental car. You are not required to pay for your hire car until you pick it up.Payment must be made by credit or debit card. At collection, a pre-authorisation will be made on your card for the estimated value of the rental. Provided the vehicle is returned undamaged, the pre-authorisation will be cancelled.
- Inspect the car. You can be be held responsible for any damage that occurs to the rental vehicle while it is in your possession, so be sure to report early if you find any visible damage such as dents or scratches to avoid getting charged.
Popular airports in New Zealand
- Auckland Airport (AKL): There are plenty of rental car options available for all travellers. You will find car rental desks, including Hertz, Thrifty, Avis, Budget and Europcar next to the arrivals area on the G/F for international travellers and on the G/F of the multi-level car park building, directly opposite the domestic terminal forecourt for domestic travellers.
- Christchurch Airport (CHC): Major rental car provider such as Avis, Budget, Europcar, Hertz, Thrifty and Enterprise are situated within the International Arrivals Hall, close to the domestic baggage area.
- Dunedin Airport (DUD): Picking up your car rental at Dunedin Airport is easy as there are plenty of rental car providers to choose from. To find the rental car counters, simply go out of the main entrance and turn left. Note that the car rental park is well signposted alongside the office area.
- Hamilton Airpot (HLZ): Five major rental car agencies such as Avis, Europcar, Hertz, Budget and Thrifty operate customer service stands within the Hamilton Airport terminal.
- Napier Airport (NPE): There are six major rental car providers in the airport which can be found in the terminal and vehicles available close by. Note that the rental car parks are located at the northern end, to the left of the terminal.
- Queenstown Airport (ZQN): The car rental counters at the ZQN are located in the terminal building or within 3-minute walk.
- Wellington Airport (WLG): You will find the car rental counters on Level 0 next to domestic baggage claim. The airport provides convenient on-site car rental services from major car rental suppliers.
Click hereto know more about Airport Car Rental.