Avis Terms & Conditions - Summary of Key Points
This summary has been prepared by VroomVroomVroom.co.nz as a guideline to alert you to the key inclusions, exclusions, requirements and other terms and conditions which may apply when renting from this supplier. Customers will be required to accept Avis Rental terms when collecting the vehicle.
For current promotions please refer to the last section of the terms and conditions page.
This quote includes:
- G.S.T, Airport taxes and Premium Location Fees if applicable.
- Stamp duty.
- Basic insurance cover (LDW) for cars with an excess of $3450 inc GST (specialty/people mover/luxury/4wd -$4312.50 inc GST ). Excess reduction protection needs to be purchased separately upon arrival. *drivers under 25 cannot reduce excess - refer below.
- Signified kilometre amount (generally unlimited).
- Vehicle Registration.
- One way fees if applicable.
This quote will not include:
- Excess reduction insurance which can be purchased from $27.60 inc GST per day, reducing the excess down to $258.75 inc GST for standard fleet (or $345 inc GST for specialty vehicles). Refer below for further information
- Credit Card Fee - Mastercard and Visa transaction charge of 2%. For Amex, Diners and all other credit cards - 3%.
- Child Seats or booster seats (can be purchased after confirmation for $14.95 inc GST per day to maximum of $74.75 inc GST per rental).
- An age surcharge of $28.75 inc GST per day per driver, in between the ages of 21 and 25 *21-25 yr drivers cannot reduce the excess fee.
- GPS at $11.45 per day inc GST
- Extra kilometres (most rentals have unlimited kilometres)
- Any extras signed up for upon arrival, e.g. vehicle snow equipment
- Remote location fee of $30 plus GST applies to KeriKeri locations
- Interisland ferry costs (cars must not travel on ferry)
- petrol costs
**All extra add-ons will attract additional percentage taxes and surcharges**
Modifying your booking may change the original quoted price.INTER ISLAND RESERVATIONS must meet Avis terms and conditions for rental - details below.
Note: there are current disruptions to the Interislander service, so advise the ferry crossing details to Avis as soon as possible to ensure availability of vehicles, see below.
*April Free Upgrade Offer*Rent with AVIS for 3 days or more in New Zealand and enjoy a free upgrade, subject to availability.
Offer applies to rentals commencing between 05 January and 18 December 2016.
Offer is available on Compact (Groups B & C), Intermediate (Group D) and Full Size (Group E) cars. Maximum upgrade to an Intermediate 4WD (Group P). Subject to availability. Minimum rental of 3 consecutive days required.
New Zealand Fly Buys members earn one Fly Buys point for every $10 spent on rental charges or earn 2.5 Air New Zealand Airpoints Dollars for every eligible rental day.
Standard Avis New Zealand Car Rental Terms & Conditions apply.
Avis Excess Reduction Guide
VroomVroomVroom.co.nz does not sell protection products or excess reduction packages, therefore any quotes/enquiries MUST be directed to Avis.
- Get it cheaper with 1cover.co.nz or for Aussies 1cover.com.au
- Standard Liability $3450 inc GST ($4312.50 inc GST specialty/8 seaters/4WD)
- Accident Excess Reduction - from $27.60 per day inc GST
This package reduces your liability to $345.00 inc GST in most cases (specialty/8 seaters/4WD can vary)
- Protection products are added to the Rental Agreement at the counter on vehicle pickup firstname.lastname@example.org
Varies by age of renter, location, type of vehicle and rate. Note: ER does not cover certain loss or damage and cannot be waived in full. Please contact Avis for further insurance information, specialty cars differ in excess. Subject to the Avis Terms and Conditions.
Credit cardsAvis accepts the Avis Charge Card, American Express, Diner's Club, MasterCard and Visa. You can only use a debit card if it has the MasterCard or Visa emblem / logo. Prepaid debit cards are not accepted.
A valid credit card must be presented by the credit card holder when collecting the vehicle. A pre-authorisation will be made on the credit card for the estimated total value of the rental and any applicable security bond. The card holder will not have access to these funds until billing is completed at the completion of the rental. For security purposes the credit card used for payment / authorisation of the rental must be in the renters name and embossed on the front of the card. The renters signature must appear on the back of the card. Upon return of the vehicle, provided the vehicle is returned undamaged and no additional charges apply (e.g. fuel), the pre-authorisation will be cancelled. Full and final payment can be made using the same or an alternate credit card, or where allowed, cash.
Drivers Licences and Age RequirementDrivers must be over the age of 21 and hold a full driver's licence for a minimum of 12 months.
If you are aged between 21 -25 years, an under-age surcharge will apply. The minimum age is 21 for all car groups. A Young Driver Surcharge will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. The Young Driver Surcharge is $28.75 NZD (inc GST) per day per driver.
Individuals with Learner's Permits, Provisional or Probationary licences may not operate Avis vehicles. Avis is unable to rent a car to anyone with a suspended, revoked, expired, cancelled or surrendered driver's licence.
International driver's licences accepted by Avis:
- A driver's licence issued by any state or territory in Australia or New Zealand.
- A driver's licence issued by any United States, territory, or possession.
- Any foreign renter must carry a driver's licence written in English. Any customer carrying a non-English licence must also present an International Driving Permit that is written in English.
- International driving permits serve only as a translation, and are valid if presented in conjunction with an official driver's licence of the issuing country.
Age Surcharge 21-25yrs
A Young Driver Surcharge will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. The Young Driver Surcharge is $28.75 NZD (inc GST) per day per driver.
The excess is non-waivalble:
Group A-E $3500.00 + GST ($4025 incl.)
Groups K; F; P; W and V $4000.00 + GST ($4600 incl.)
Child Safety Seats
Reversed for babies
Forward-facing for toddlers
At corporate-owned locations, we guarantee availability of a child safety seat. At licensee-owned locations, your request will be held with your reservation, but the rental is made on a first-come, first-served basis so availability is not guaranteed.
Due to liability issues, Avis personnel are not permitted to install child safety seats into vehicles for customers. However, upon request, Avis will assist you with the installation of the child safety seat. Other questions regarding installation should be addressed
directly with the rental location. Add a seat via the "modify booking" link in your confirmation email, or email your babies age to email@example.com and our Customer Service team will follow up for you.
Additional DriversThere is no charge for additional drivers, but all drivers must present their licence to Avis staff and sign the rental agreement.
Inter Island Travel Multi Island Hire
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- A minimum of 3 days consecutive rental is required in each Island (a minimum total rental of 6 days across both islands) for cars.
- A minimum of 5 days consecutive rental is required in each island (a minimum total rental of 10 days across both islands) for all wagons, 4WD's and vans.
- If the above minimum length of rental is not met then the rental will be charged as two separate hires at two separate rates.
- If you are travelling more than once between the two islands (eg. start the rental in the North Island, travel to the South Island and then re-cross back into the North Island to finish the rental), the third rental period has no minimum length of rental requirement - the final leg of this type of rental can be of any length so long as the first two rental periods meet the minimum requirements.
- If the minimum rental requirements are met, the rental can start and finish at any Avis location in New Zealand (subject to availability).
- Multi-Island Hires can cross between North Island & South Island using the Picton Ferry Terminal and the Wellington Ferry Terminal, or you can fly into other Avis locations. Note: This policy only applies if you are flying to the other island, not to a location within the same island.
- A maximum of five (5) hours is allowed between the drop off of the vehicle in one island and the pick up of the next vehicle on the other island (ie. the length of the ferry trip between the islands is approximately 3 hours and 45 minutes in total).
- If a Multi-Hire cross over booking has not been made, then we require 72 hours notice of your intention to cross between the islands. If notice is not given, we cannot guarantee a vehicle will be available on the other side.
- If you wish to collect your rental car outside of the normal operating hours for Avis Picton & Avis Wellington Ferry Terminal, a meet late arrival fee of NZD $50 + GST will apply.
- It is important to note that no Avis vehicle should cross Cook Strait between the islands. Any client that does take a vehicle across on an Interisland ferry (i.e. if they collect a car from a location in one island and return the vehicle to a location in the other island) without Avis authorisation, they will face an automatic relocation fee of NZD$450.00 (inc. GST).
- For any travel between the North & South islands on a Multi-Island Hire, it is the renters responsibility for booking the Interisland Ferry crossing as foot passengers.
- For all ferry bookings and information on Cook Strait ferry sailings, please visit either Interislander or Bluebridge.
- Procedure for Drop Off & Pick Up
- When you drop off your rental car at either Wellington Ferry Terminal or Picton Ferry Terminal, please ensure the car has a full tank of petrol. That way you will avoid paying a premium for petrol at the location. Upon arrival at your destination, there will be a new rental car waiting with a full tank of petrol, so you do not end up paying twice.
- Do not leave the rental car unlocked with the keys in it. Please return the keys to the Avis rental counter located at the Interislander Ferry Terminal.
- If you are travelling on the Bluebridge ferry to Wellington, you will need to make your own way by taxi to the Avis rental counter located in the Interislander Ferry Terminal.
- If you book a Multi-Island Hire and need to cross Cook Strait by ferry, it is your responsibility to book the Interisland Ferry crossing as foot passengers.
- If you rent a Portable GPS Navigation unit, please take the unit with you on the ferry. That way you will avoid any short supply issues at your destination. The GPS Navigation units can be used in all rental vehicles.
- At your destination port, an Avis representative will be waiting with the keys to your new rental car, ready for your onward journey.
- When you drop off your car at Avis, you will need to walk a short distance to board the ferry as foot passengers.
- If you collect a car from a rental location on one island and leave the vehicle at a rental location on the other island, without Avis authorisation, you will be charged an automatic relocation fee of NZD$450.00 (inc. GST)
- If you wish to collect your rental car outside of the normal operating hours for Avis Picton & Avis Wellington Ferry Terminal, a 'Meet Late Arrival' fee of NZD $50 + GST will apply. Please refer to the following pages for location opening hours, contact details, and location maps:
- Avis Wellington Ferry Terminal
- Avis Picton Ferry Terminal
Driving RestrictionsAvis vehicles may only be driven on paved roads. Off-road driving is prohibited.
In New Zealand you are prohibited from driving a rental vehicle on the following:
- Tasman Valley Road (Mt Cook)
- Skipper s Canyon (Queenstown)
- Ninety Mile Beach (Northland)
- any unformed roads, including beaches, i.e. roads other than tarseal and metal.
Refer to Avis for Snow Cover terms and conditions if travelling beyond the snowline.
Snow Chains, Ski Racks, & Board Racks
Snow Chains, Ski Racks, & Board Racks can be rented individually for $14.38 inc GST per day, up to a maximum of $103.50 inc GST per rental. You can also rent a combination of racks & chains for $23 inc GST per day up to a maximum of $184 inc GST per rental. Ski racks, snowboard racks, and snow chains can be rented from most South Island location and some North Island locations, subject to availability.
BOOKINGS & INFORMATION:
For further details or to book your Snow Chains & Ski or Board Racks, please contact Avis on 0800 284 722 or reply to your confirmation and the VroomVroomVroom Customer Service team will follow up for you.
Sub-Compact (Group A) and Full Size (Group E) cars cannot be fitted with ski racks, board racks, or snow chains and are unsuitable to book as ski cars.
Rental DaysMost car rental rates are based on a 24-hour clock. Extra hours are charged at one third of the daily rate, up until 3 hours, when the rate becomes a full days charge. In addition, the charges for optional insurance are charged at the full day rate.
GPSGPS at $11.45 per day inc GST
Available at participating locations.
- Reliability of directions subject to timing of software implementation as well as that of which has been provided by the maker of the installed maps.
- Customer is responsible for all costs in the event of lost, stolen or damaged GPS Unit and all of its components.
- Renter agrees to release and hold Avis harmless for any GPS failures.
- Rate Code GN must be quoted at time of booking or rental.
- Car groups used on relocation rentals maybe restricted and are subject to availability.
- Rental cost of $10 a day includes standard motor vehicle insurance, G.S.T., and 900 kilometres free. Excess kilometres will be charged at 29 cents per kilometre (incl. GST).
- Offer available from participating on New Zealand rental locations only.
- Offer only available to New Zealand residents.
- Maximum length of rental is 2 days in either island - North Island & South Island.
- The car must be collected & returned to the specified locations.
- All relocation offers are subject to availability. If no cars are available for relocation then normal retail rates apply.
- Transportation is guaranteed but we cannot guarantee a specific car group.
- May not be used in conjunction with any other promotion, coupon or discounted offer.
- Renters only qualify to earn points with one Avis affiliated loyalty programme per rental.
- Fuel and any selected additional insurances or optional extras are not included.
- Offer not available on all rates at all times - excludes corporate, net and non-discountable rates. Not available in conjunction with Avis Worldwide Discount Numbers (AWD).
- Not transferable. Not refundable.
- Renter must meet Avis driver and credit requirements.
- Rentals must commence between the dates specified on each Relocation Rental deal.
- Blackout periods may apply. Refer to the specific Terms & Conditions of each Relocation Rental deal.
- An advance reservation is required.
- Standard Avis New Zealand Rental Terms & Conditions apply.
- All prices include GST.
- For further details, please contact Avis Rent a Car on 0800 655 111.
Optional Protection and Excess ReductionVroom Vroom Vroom does not sell protection products or excess reduction packages, therefore any quotes/enquiries MUST be directed to Avis.
Avis offers several optional insurance plans and are available for an additional daily charge.
Renters may (in many locations) purchase additional insurance at the time of rental. The Avis renter is responsible for all damage or theft of the Avis vehicle subject to certain exclusions contained in the Avis rental agreement.
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
Excess Reduction (ER)
Personal Effects and Baggage Insurance (PEB)
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
Optional Protection Package
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW)
Limits the renter's financial responsibility for loss or damage to the Avis vehicle (if you comply with the Avis Rental Agreement). In most cases, an excess applies and can be reduced through the purchase of Excess Reduction (ER).
LDW is included in most rates in New Zealand.
Excess Reduction (ER)
In New Zealand, this reduces the excess in most cases from NZ$3162.50 (including GST) to NZ$258.75 (including GST). Varies by age of renter, location, type of vehicle and rate. Note: ER does not cover certain loss or damage and cannot be waived in full.
The Avis Protection Package is an optional all-inclusive package which gives you and your family coverage for things like: damage to the Avis rental car, your personal belongings and personal injury.
The package comprises Excess Reduction (ER), Personal Accident Insurance (PAI), and Personal Effects and Baggage Insurance (PEB).
Personal Effects and Baggage Insurance (PEB)
Personal Effects & Baggage Insurance (PEB) provides the renter and Authorised Drivers, and any person travelling with the Renter and Authorised Driver, but excluding any hitchhiker, with cover up to a certain limit for loss or damage to baggage and personal effects contained within the rental vehicle.
Note: PEB is not available separately. It can only be purchased as part of the Optional Protection Package.
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI)
Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) provides the Authorised driver with cover up to a certain limit for Death, Permanent Disablement and specified Permanent Total Loss and in certain circumstances medical expenses.
Note: PAI is not available separately. It can only be purchased as part of the Optional Protection Package.
Optional Protection Package
Includes Excess Reduction (ER), Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) and Personal Effects and Baggage Insurance (PEB) at selected locations in Australia.
NOTE: If you choose the Protection Package, please read the PAI and PEB Policy and the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) contained in the Terms and Conditions of Rental.
100% Smoke Free Policy
Effective from 01 April 2011, Avis have introduced a 100% smoke free policy to their entire fleet. Every Make, Every Model. Customers will find a sticker on every vehicle to identify it as smoke-free.
Avis is excited about this change because it means a fresh, clean, odour-free vehicle every time you rent. There is a new inspection process and cleaning fee (up to $250+GST if the vehicle is returned and it smells of smoke) just to guarantee that all our vehicles really are clean and smoke free.
Vehicle is rented with a full tank of petrol and has to be returned with a full tank of fuel. If the vehicle is not full of fuel upon return refuelling charges apply.
Please click here for the Avis Rental Agreement terms and conditions