What Car Hire Company Rents to 19-Year-Olds in New Zealand?
A customer must be at least 21 to be eligible to rent a car in New Zealand and must carry a full driver's licence for a minimum of one year. However, Hertz allows renters aged 18 to hire a car, where an underage surcharge will apply. Note that licences in a foreign language must have an approved translation to English with them. If the licence is not in English, then an International Driving Permit is also required.
What car rental companies rent under 25?
Please note that the usual minimum age requirement to rent and drive a car hire in New Zealand is 25 years old. However, there are car rental agencies that allow drivers below 25 as long as they pay for the underage surcharge fee. Here are some of them:
What rental car companies in NZ rent to Provisional Licence holders?
Enterprise rents to Provisional Licence holders, which are over 21 and have held their Licence for a minimum of 1 year. However, please note that there is an additional Probationary Licence Fee of $23* per day which excludes GST.
*Note that all extra add-ons will attract additional percentage taxes and surcharges. All prices above are subject to change without prior notice.
A few things to keep in mind
- When you rent a car in New Zealand, remember that there will be certain taxes and charges that are already included in the cost. Note that the inclusions and exclusions may be slightly different depending on which car rental company and which location you are renting your car from. Learn more by reading our Price Inclusions Guide.
- All drivers must be registered regardless of who signs the agreement.
- An unregistered driver, if involved in a car accident will not be covered, and all insurances are null and void. Always be sure to register all potential drivers. Note also that you may have to pay a higher charge than people who are over 21 years old in the event you damage the vehicle.
- Drivers under 25 must be aware of travel times. Make sure to plan your journey well, and do not rush. Take a break and do not drive especially when tired.
- VroomVroomVroom also compares car rental in Australia, United Kingdom, Canada and the United States.If you have additional questions, or would like to get an estimate rental car cost, including age surcharge, feel free to contact us via phone, email and live chat.
Learn more about restrictions here.
Make sure to read the terms and conditions...Before booking, it is important to read the Terms and Conditions of the rental car suppliers. They will state what the minimum rental age is and whether there are any additional fees or requirements for being under a certain age.