Information About Multi-Island Hire in New Zealand
Between the North and South Islands of New Zealand, there are a lot of amazing sights to see. Therefore, it makes sense that many visitors to New Zealand wish to explore both islands. Although you are not allowed to take rental cars on the Inter-Islander Ferry, our car rental suppliers to offer multi-island hire deals. This means a renter will drop off their rental car before taking the ferry, and then picking up another vehicle on the other island. Here are some important things to know if you are planning on making a multi-island hire booking:
- Minimum hire time periods will apply. Generally this is around 3-5 consecutive days on each island, depending on the supplier and type of vehicle you are hiring.
- Multi Island car hire rates apply if you are using the Inter-Islander Ferry, or if you are flying between locations on the North and South Island. However, a maximum of five hours is permitted between the drop off time and pick up times.
- Our suppliers will generally require at least 72 hours of notice if you are planning to cross between the islands, in order to guarantee that a vehicle will be available on the other side.
- Late arrival fees will apply if you plan on picking up your rental car after hours at the Picton or Wellington Ferry Terminal.
- It is your responsibility to book the Inter-Islander Ferry crossing.
- When you drop off your rental car at the first location, you will need to return it with a full tank of fuel.