- see
We compare car rentals.
  • Great Rates
  • Wide Selection of Cars
  • Trusted Since 2001
  • AL
  • AV
  • BG
  • ER
  • EN
  • EC
  • GO
  • HZ
  • SX
  • TH
Download the VroomVroomVroom app and access the best car hire deals wherever you are. App Store Google Store
Need help with your car rental? Phone: 0800-141-466
Need help with your car rental?
Phone: 0800-141-466

Licence Requirements for Renting a Car in New Zealand

licence requirements

Before you can start your road trip in New Zealand, there are a few things you need to consider in order to have an enjoyable and stress-free experience. Two of the most commonly asked car hire questions we often receive are about the types of licences and permit requirements when renting a car. So to help you walk through the whole process, VroomVroomVroom has put together a comprehensive guide to make your life easier.

What type of licence do I need?

Most car rental companies are unable to rent a car to anyone with a suspended, revoked, expired, cancelled or surrendered driver's licence. At the time of rental, you must present a valid driver's licence which has been held for at least one year. Note that drivers with Learner's Permits or restricted licences may not be allowed to operate and drive any vehicles.

Know more about the Types of Licences.

Do I need an International Driving Permit?

An International Driving Permit is a translation of your national driver's licence. If your licence is not in English and you want to drive in New Zealand then you need an International Driving Permit. Before leaving for New Zealand, you must apply for a translation with your local transport authority.

Find out more why you need an International Driving Permit.

You can rent a car in New Zealand if you are over 21 years old and are a holder of a full valid international driver's licence or a current local licence. Generally, renters with a full driver's licence can drive for 12 months from the time of arrival, and it is permitted by rental companies. If the licence is not in English, an International Driving Permit that is translated into English will be required.