Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App
Interisland Summary for Car Hire in New Zealand
Many travellers to New Zealand wish to visit both the North and South Island. Some of our suppliers offer multi-hire deals where you can drop your first vehicle at the ferry terminal, take the Interislander Ferry, then pick up your second vehicle from the other side. No rental vehicles are permitted on the ferry, so if you plan on driving on both the North and South Island you will need two different cars. If you take the vehicle to another island, the fees can be expensive.
If you're unsure of how to transfer to another island and continue your journey, here is a quick guide to the two ferry terminals.
If you're starting your journey in the North Island, you will need to return your first vehicle to the Wellington Ferry Terminal. The terminal is close to the city centre, at Aotea Quay. The terminal operates from 6.30am until 6.15pm. Once you've dropped off your rental car, you'll need to proceed to the Passenger Terminal.
The Picton Passenger Terminal operates from 8am until 8pm (11pm on Sundays). If you've started your journey on the South Island and want to drop your vehicle as the terminal, you'll find the car rental depots on Auckland Street. If you are arriving from Wellington, you'll find car rental desks inside the terminal.
|Supplier||Required # of Days||Additional Charges||Details|
- Interisland one way rental (meeting minimum days) can be booked online. Once you've confirmed the booking, contact email@example.com for ferry schedule at least 48 hours prior to departure.
- If minimum length of rental requirement is not met, the booking will be charged as two separate hires. More details in Avis Terms and Conditions.
- Interisland one way rental (meeting minimum days) can be booked online. Once you've confirmed the booking, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to advise us of your booking number and advise ferry schedule at least 48 hours prior to departure.
- If minimum length of rental requirement is not met, the booking will be charged as two separate hires. More details in Budget Terms and Conditions.
- After hours per collection/delivery is charged at around NZD * 350.00 GST will be charged.
- Interisland one way rentals can be booked online. Please email email@example.com and advise us of your booking number and ferry dates, at least 72 hours prior to ferry schedule.
- The first rental must be a minimum of 3 days. The second rental must start within 5 hours of the first rental finishing.
- Interisland one way rentals can be booked online. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org and advise us of your booking number and ferry dates, at least 48 hours prior to ferry transfer.
|N/A ||N/A |
- Thrifty requires two separate reservations for each island.
*Optional extras will attract additional percentage taxes and surcharges.
All confirmations are based on travel meeting the supplier's requirements.
Please note, the suppliers do not allow the vehicles on the ferry. Vehicles that are taken on ferry are subject to relocation fees (over $400), and the renter is liable for full cost of any damage.
Read more about travelling between the North and South Island.