Fast and Easy way to Compare,
Book and Save on your Car Rentals.
  • Great Rates
  • Wide Selection of Cars
  • Trusted Since 2001
    Download the FREE VroomVroomVroom App App StoreGoogle Store

    Will I Need an International Driving Permit to Rent a Car in New Zealand?

    International driving permit in NZ banner

    If your driving licence is not printed in English, you will need an International Driving Permit to rent a car in New Zealand. Licences from Australia, the UK, the United States and Canada are all generally accepted, however, there may be some exclusions. Feel free to contact our Customer Care Team to find out if your licence will be accepted in New Zealand.

    If you have an International Driving Permit, there are still some important things you need to know before you pick up your car:

    • The International Driving Permit serves as a translation document only. Therefore you will need to also provide a copy of your original driving licence from your country of residence.
    • Restrictions will still apply if you have a provisional or probationary licence. Many of our suppliers in New Zealand do not accept licences with restrictions.

    Read more about what you should know before you book.

     For example:

    When you present your International Driving Permit . . .

    If you have a driving licence printed in Japanese, you will also need to present an International Driving Permit. When you present the permit at the depot you will also need to present your original licence to be eligible to rent.