Auckland in a Rental Car
New Zealand's largest city has a lot to offer, from harbour cruises to unique islands and fine dining options. If you want to experience the sights and culture of Auckland, the best way is with a rental car. We have rental cars in locations across Auckland, including at the airport, to get you on the road straight away. We have put together a quick guide to help you navigate the streets of Auckland with your rental car.
A quick guide to Auckland
- Mount Eden - For a great panorama of the city, head to Mount Eden where you can enjoy great views of Auckland. While you are in the area, stop in at one of the friendly, local cafes.
- Parnell - For vintage stores, delicious restaurants and a taste of local history, Parnell is a great option. There is plenty of historical architecture to see in Auckland's oldest suburb.
- Takapuna - Takapuna is home to some great beaches, and has become a popular spot among locals.
- Newmarket - To shop at high-end stores, or find a great bargain, there is plenty to discover in Newmarket. There is also a lot of recreational activities to enjoy in the area.
- CBD: For all the classic Auckland sights, and to enjoy a scenic harbour cruise, you cannot go past Auckland's CBD.
Driving Tips in Auckland
- In New Zealand, you must keep to the left hand side of the road.
- Familiarize yourself with the local road rules, as they may be slightly different.
- There are roundabouts in Auckland, which you must drive on in a clockwise direction.
- The maximum speed limit in urban areas is 50km/h.
- It is illegal to use your mobile phone while driving.
Parking in Auckland
Auckland has several downtown parking lots that you can pay a hourly or daily fee to use. You will find public parking lots in both George Street and Customs Street. Many central hotels may charge extra for parking.
Are there toll roads in Auckland?
The Northern Gateway Toll Road is the only toll road you will encounter in Auckland. There are also toll roads in and around Tauranga.
Auckland - Tauranga - 2h 30m
Auckland - Hamilton - 1h 30m
Auckland - Whangarei - 2h 15m
To avoid any additional charges make sure you return your car with a full fuel tank. Here are some centrally located petrol stations in Auckland.
- BP, 107 Fanshawe St, Auckland
- Z, 27 Quay St, Auckland
- Caltex, 30 Stanley Street, Parnell