Try something new on the slopes out of Queenstown!
Winter is on its way! The South Island of New Zealand is blessed with world class snow sports facilities, and now is the time to get planning. Final touches are being made to a major upgrade to Queenstown airport to make night flying possible, giving visitors more time on the slopes. We have found some out of the ordinary mountain experiences for you to try, whether you are an experienced snow-bunny, or new to the sport.
1. Try night skiing under the stars: Available at Coronet Peak ski field on Friday and Saturday nights from 4pm, July to mid-September. Coronet Peak is the closest ski field to Queenstown, just twenty minutes driving time on sealed roads.
The Snow Farm on Cardrona Rd in Wanaka is a one hour drive from Queenstown on State Highway 6. They are New Zealand's only Nordic Ski Resort, and offer different experiences from conventional ski fields, such as:
2. Got little ones? They will love the family friendly Snow Fun Zone. This has a tubing and sledding slope, a system of snow caves and sculptures, plus an area to build their own snowman.
3. Snow shoe or cross country ski four kilometers to the Snow Farm's back-country Meadow Hut, for a unique night's accommodation.
4. Or, join forces with the Snow Farm and Heliview flights, and fly in by helicopter for a dog sled tour.
5. Pushed for time? Don't do crowds? Harris Mountain Heli-Ski offers a day package from Queenstown or Wanaka to Aoraki/Mt Cook, New Zealand's highest peak and home to some of the country's most exhilarating ski and snow-board terrain.
6. Scenic Chairlift Ride: Treble Cone Resort has Queenstown and Wanaka's only scenic chairlift ride. The Home Basin lift takes you to a gob-stopping 1750 metres above sea-level, in the comfort of your own shoes.
7. For airdogs, Cardrona Alpine Resort has the most extensive park and pipe facilities for snowboarding aerials in the Southern Hemisphere. Cardrona is a comfortable one hour drive from Queenstown Airport.
8. The Ohau Snow Fields are part of a boutique family-run business, including the Lake Ohau Lodge. The lodge is a two and half hour drive from Queenstown, with the ski field another twenty minutes away. The snow fields have stunning views of Aoraki Mt Cook.
You can get to all these great locations in a rental car. VroomVroomVroom can find you the perfect car for your trip, at the best prices, from trusted suppliers. Don't wait! The sooner you book, the better the deals.